Well, we finally finished Jared's Eagle project! The project consisted of fabricating and installing backpack racks on the walls outside of the classrooms at Highlands Elementary School. Also, 4 portable rolling racks were built to accommodate rooms with no wall space. One of the other boys in our ward did this same project a few months ago and the school contacted his dad about finishing the rest of the classes. He told us about it and the project just kind of fell into our laps. Jared called a counselor from a list to receive approval for the project and the counselor invited him over the same day and approved it. That is practically unheard of. We had a great turnout with 26 people participating.
Jared cutting redwood 2 X 4's for the rolling racks.
The cut 2 X 4's.
I got rid of my table saw a while back so I had to
do some dado work with a skill saw. Not easy.
Assembling the rolling racks.
Drilling the pilot holes in the "Trex" boards.
This template was provided by the school and helped speed
up the drilling process. It still took many hours to drill all
Screwing the braces onto the racks.
This is one of the old racks that we replaced. Notice the
pointy ends right at eye level.
This was another version that we replaced.
Here the safe hooks are being installed on the Trex boards.
for over 3 bucks apiece. Fortunately the
school paid for all the materials.
Jared and Clinton taking a completed
rack to one of the classes.
A rack ready to be installed.
Installing the rack. We had a lot of people
to help hold everything in place which made
things a much easier.
The Finished installation.
Installing the hooks on the rolling racks.
Installing the wheels on the rolling racks.
The clean up crew.
Most of the crew who participated.
The finished product in use.